Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 30, 2021

A Christmas List

 "Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners - of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen." I Timothy 1:15-17 [NIV]


Image: Steven Dalton
The tiny little calendar at the bottom of my computer screen indicates that we are now on the verge of that magical month of December. It must be true. Traffic is thick, Christmas trees are strapped to the tops of vehicles in a haphazard temporary adornment that makes each car look like they have a mohawk....needles trailing in the backdraft and sprinkling the roadways. "Good King Joy" as performed by my ultimate favorite Christmas music group "The Trans-Siberian Orchestra" is pumping from my Youtube speakers a little too loudly...

It MUST nearly be December. It must be Christmas.

Much like little Cindy Lou Who, however, I'm askin' that question. Where ARE you Christmas? I'm havin' a difficult time findin it amongst the recently experienced 11 months with out income, the miscarriage of our oldest son's first child, the fun little bout with Noro Virus, the pneumonia suffered by our oldest granddaughter, TWO  emergency surgeries that lead to an additional admittance through the ER sprinkled on top, Papaw Babb's room was ready in Heaven this year ... and oh yeah, in about 24 hours, for all intense and purposes, the Dalton Gang will be homeless.

Image: Steven Dalton
The hard truth of Christmas 2021 is that as a species, we are ALL dealing with a growing list of similar struggles and heartbreak thanks to that fun sounding virus that hit us all square between the eyes. And while it might FEEL like Christmas just isn't gonna happen this year. At least, not in my heart ... it's actually BLOOMING all around me in shimmering gold, red, and green brilliance. And unlike my grumpy, haggard, self-absorbed....self - the blooming all around me isn't just a bunch of people going through the motions to satisfy the little ones. They aren't scratching up the tops of their mohawk cars with zombie-like expressions and vacant-eyed stares. They are smiling. They are laughing. They are plugging in every light within a tri-county radius and putting plastic Santas up in their yards. They are buying in with money from their own pockets to keep a small struggling farmer's market open. They are standing out in chilly weather with a guitar for tip money because they have no home, no family but are givin it everything they've got. They are standing in front of Walmart with a big fluffy Santa hat and a bell and smiling at all the stressed out shoppers. Get this ... they are SINGING along with the Christmas music!

How?!

Why?!

Well. Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves repeating. Christ Jesus came to the world to save us. All of us. Every. Single. One. And while I don't technically have a home in which to put up a Christmas tree, I AM still going to celebrate! Because the simple, glorious, fantastic and amazing truth is - no matter how UNChristmas I FEEL, it's still happening. Whatever crazy wobble experienced by our little blue marble doesn't  alter the beautiful fact that Christ Jesus Came to the world to save us. To save me. The worst sinner of all. 
Image: Steven Dalton

God showed ME mercy. I don't deserve it. I never will. But to glorify the ONE GOD, I can give that mercy back. To glorify GOD, I will celebrate Christmas. To glorify GOD, I will praise Him and shout it out from every mountain top that Jesus Christ was born!! Amen!!

Pardon me while I attempt to locate the Rudolph nose and antlers that go on the front of my car.


No comments:

Post a Comment